BGSL CODE OF CONDUCT
The purpose of this code is to establish guidelines and expectations for all who are involved in our league. This code extends beyond the players, to the coaches, parents, and guests who attend practices, games, and official functions.
We’re passionate about our mission of providing the finest facility for organized girls softball and promoting teamwork, sportsmanship, safety and instruction of superior quality and value. Core to this mission is ensuring the coaches and parents are held to the same standards of courtesy, fairness, respect and responsibility that we require of the players. We must lead by example if we are to expect the players to represent themselves, their families, their team and the league in ways in which we can all be proud.
CODE FOR PLAYERS
- I will represent myself, my family, my team, and the league with dignity, honesty, and integrity at all times.
- I will play with pride and intensity no matter the circumstances of the game and will always encourage my teammates to do the same.
- I will support my teammates and maintain a positive attitude at all times.
- I will be courteous and respectful to my teammates, coaches and game officials.
- I will not argue with game officials for any reason.
- I will refrain from outbursts of anger, temper, and poor sportsmanship.
- I will never direct negative or critical cheers or comments toward anyone.
- I will not use vulgar or offensive language or gestures, regardless of the circumstances.
- I will not become hostile, nor will I resort to violence towards anyone.
- I will not use physical or verbal intimidation towards anyone.
- I will be properly and appropriately attired for participation on the field.
- I will be responsible for my own equipment as well as team equipment.
- I will do no harm to any facilities or fields, and I will not intentionally damage team equipment.
- I will not post inappropriate or negative comments on ANY social media outlet about my teammates, coaches or opponents.
- No alcohol, drugs or weapons of any kind.
CODE FOR MANAGERS/COACHES
- I will treat all players, game officials, parents and spectators with respect, fairness, and in a positive manner.
- I will always promote a sense of fair play and good sportsmanship.
- I will not try to win at the expense of the health of my players.
- I will provide training, instruction and motivation to all players so that they will perform at their maximum skill levels.
- I will set a consistent example of self-discipline, appearance and professionalism.
- I will maintain and encourage an environment of open communications with my players.
- I will not engage in any behavior or action that would endanger the health and well-being of any player.
- I will not engage in profane, insulting, harassing or abusive language or behavior.
- If I have any concerns or problems that must be addressed with parents, I will discuss in a civil manner, outside of the presence of the players. I will refrain from discussion until 24 hours have passed.
- I will not become hostile, nor will I ever resort to violence towards anyone.
- I will have at least one coach or team parent in the dugout to enforce proper behavior and watch for any signs of inappropriate behavior including, but not limited to, bullying, harassment or disrespect.
CODE FOR PARENTS/GUARDIANS
- I will conduct myself responsibly at all practices, games and events.
- I will be responsible for the actions of my guests.
- I will remember that the game is about the players, and only the players.
- I will refrain from coaching my child during practices or games unless I am asked to do so by the coaching staff.
- I will be a positive role model at all times and promote good sportsmanship by showing respect and courtesy to players, coaches, game officials, and other spectators.
- I will not engage in profane, insulting, harassing, or abusive language or behavior towards anyone.
- I will not become hostile nor will I resort to violence towards anyone.
- I will not engage in any behavior or action that could endanger the health and well-being of any player.
- I will not argue with game officials or other spectators for any reason.
- If I have concerns or problems with coaching methods or decisions, I will discuss them in a civil manner with the head coach, outside the presence of players. I will abide by the mandatory 24-hour cool-down period before discussing my issue.
- If I am asked to leave the premises by game officials, BGSL Board Members, or coaches I will do so immediately.
All players, coaches, and parents are expected to behave in a sporting manner at all times. Any player, coach or parent / fan whose conduct is unbecoming or abusive will at a minimum be warned and may be removed from the playing field or stands at the discretion of the Tournament Officials or the Umpires. Foul or abusive language will not be tolerated under any circumstances. This includes a team forfeiting or being removed from the tournament if necessary. Failure to abide by the code of conduct may subject a player, coach, parent/guardian or guest to one or more of the following disciplinary actions by the officers and directors of the league. Depending on severity and impact of the occurrence, additional disciplinary action not outlined below may be taken.
- An immediate warning and/ or expulsion from the facility by the Board Member on Duty
- A one or multi-game suspension during which you may not participate or be present as a player, coach, or spectator.
- A suspension for the remainder of the season in which you may not participate, or be present, as a player, coach or spectator.
- A permanent suspension from any future participation or involvement in the league softball program.
All disciplinary actions and decisions will be made by the officers and directors of the league. There will be NO refunds of registration fees, or any other fees or portions thereof, when disciplinary action is taken. All decisions are final.